The research activities of the Laboratory concern plant ecophysiology, natural ecosystem dynamics (through field measurements, modelling and remote sensing), effects of climate change in Mediterranean plants and botanical databases.
- Study of Ecosystem Dynamics using CHRIS/PROBA Hyperspectral data. In collaboration with the Institute for Astronomy, Astrophysics, Space Applications and Remote Sensing (IAASARS) of the National Observatory of Athens (NOA) and European Space Agency (ESA).
- Development of a satellite monitoring system for the estimation of primary productivity of the forests of North Pindus National Park in a GIS environment. In collaboration with the Institute for Astronomy, Astrophysics, Space Applications and Remote Sensing (IAASARS) of the National Observatory of Athens (NOA). This research project has been co-financed by the European Union (European Regional Development Fund- ERDF) and Greek national funds through the Operational Program “THESSALY- MAINLAND GREECE AND EPIRUS-2007-2013” of the National Strategic Reference Framework (NSRF 2007-2013).
- A study of ecosystem dynamics of North Pindus National Park using satellite images. In collaboration with the Institute for Astronomy, Astrophysics, Space Applications and Remote Sensing (IAASARS) of the National Observatory of Athens (NOA) and the Laboratory of Meteorology of the Physics Department of University of Ioannina. The project was financed by the Ministry of Education and Religious Affairs of Greece.
- Advanced technologies and remote sensing techniques in the monitoring and protection of forestal and other land ecosystems. In collaboration with the Institute for Astronomy, Astrophysics, Space Applications and Remote Sensing (IAASARS) of the National Observatory of Athens (NOA). The project was financed by the General Secretariat for Research and Technology of Greece (Programme "Human Resources in Research and Technology, Creation of Human Networks", Measure 8.3, Action 8.3.6).
- Database of medicinal plants of Vikos - Aoos National Park. The project was financed by the Ministry for the Environment Physical Planning and Public Works of Greece and co-financed by WWF-Hellas and Rizareios Foundation.
- Stagakis S., Markos N., Vanikiotis T., Tzotsos A., Sykioti O. & Kyparissis A. 2015. sCASE: A primary productivity monitoring system for the forests of North Pindus National Park (Epirus, Greece). European Journal of Remote Sensing, 48, 223-243.
- Stagakis S., Markos N., Sykioti O. & Kyparissis A. 2014. Tracking seasonal changes of leaf and canopy light use efficiency in a Phlomis fruticosa Mediterranean ecosystem using field measurements and multi-angular satellite hyperspectral imagery. ISPRS Journal of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, 97, 138-151.
- Markos N. & Kyparissis A. 2011. Ecophysiological modelling of leaf level photosynthetic performance for three Mediterranean species with different growth forms. Functional Plant Biology, 38, 314-326.
- Sykioti O., Paronis D., Stagakis S. & Kyparissis A. 2011. Band depth analysis of CHRIS/PROBA data for the study of a Mediterranean natural ecosystem. Correlations with leaf optical properties and ecophysiological parameters. Remote Sensing of Environment, 115, 752-766.
- Stagakis S., Markos N., Sykioti O. & Kyparissis A. 2010. Monitoring canopy biophysical and biochemical parameters in ecosystem scale using satellite hyperspectral imagery: An application on a Phlomis fruticosa Mediterranean ecosystem using multiangular CHRIS/PROBA observations. Remote Sensing of Environment, 114, 977-994.
- Iovi K., Kolovou C. & Kyparissis A. 2009. An ecophysiological approach of hydraulic performance for nine Mediterranean species. Tree Physiology, 29, 889-900.
- Kyparissis A., Grammatikopoulos G. & Manetas Y. 2007. Leaf morphological and physiological adjustments to the spectrally selective shade imposed by anthocyanins in Prunus cerasifera. Tree Physiology, 27, 849-857.
- Levizou E., Drilias P. & Kyparissis A. 2004. Exceptional photosynthetic performance of Capparis spinosa L. under adverse conditions of Mediterranean summer. Photosynthetica, 42, 229-235.
- Vanikiotis T., Markos N., Stagakis S, Tzotsos A., Sykioti O., Kyparissis A. Edinburgh, Scotland, September 2013. Estimating light use efficiency of a pine and a beech forest from leaf to ecosystem scale using the photochemical reflectance index. European Space Agency, Special Publication SP-722, Living Planet Symposium.
- Sykioti O., Paronis D., Kyparissis A. & Stagakis S. Frascati, Italy, March 2010. Spectroscopic analysis of a Mediterranean ecosystem using CHRIS/PROBA, in situ leaf spectra and plant measurements. European Space Agency, Hyperspectral Workshop 2010.
- Kyparissis A., Markos N., Stagakis S., Levizou E., Sykioti O. Florence, Italy, September 17-20, 2007. Ecosystem productivity and dynamics issued from multispectral and hyperspectral satellite imagery. Proceedings of SPIE Europe Remote Sensing.
- Stagakis S., Markos N., Levizou E. & Kyparissis A. Montreux, Switzerland, April 23-27, 2007. Forest Ecosystem Dynamics using SPOT and MODIS Satellite Images. European Space Agency ENVISAT Symposium.