PhD: Plant Ecophysiology and Remote Sensing
BSc: Biological Applications and Technologies
Stavros Stagakis has graduated from the Department of Biological Applications and Technologies, University of Ioannina, Greece. In his BSc thesis he focused on satellite remote sensing applications in monitoring dynamic parameters of mountainous vegetation under the supervision of Dr. Aris Kyparissis. After graduation, he kept on his research as a PhD candidate in the same department and worked in two research projects that studied ecosystem dynamics using field measurements, multispectral and hyperspectral satellite data. His PhD thesis “Evaluation and use of remote sensing techniques in monitoring land ecosystem dynamics” was supervised by Dr. Aris Kyparissis with close association of Dr. Olga Sykioti from the National Observatory of Athens (NOA), member of the supervising committee. In the final stage of his PhD research, he moved to Cordoba, Spain through a student exchange program for 8 months, where he worked in the Instituto de Agricultura Sostenible (IAS) under the guidance of Dr. Pablo J. Zarco-Tejada. The research conducted in Spain used airborne remote sensing techniques in precision agriculture applications.
Currently, he works as a Post-doc Researcher in the University of Ioannina in the framework of the research project “Development of a satellite monitoring system for the estimation of primary productivity of the forests of Northern Pindus National Park in a GIS environmen”, coordinated by Dr. Aris Kyparissis.
- Study of vegetation phenological and functional parameters using remote sensing techniques
- Photoprotective mechanisms in the different plant species and environments
- Climate change effects on terrestrial ecosystems
- Primary productivity estimation
- Stagakis S., Markos N., Vanikiotis T., Tzotsos A., Sykioti O. & Kyparissis A. 2015. sCASE: A primary productivity monitoring system for the forests of North Pindus National Park (Epirus, Greece). European Journal of Remote Sensing, 48, 223-243.
- Stagakis S., Markos N., Sykioti O. & Kyparissis A. 2014. Tracking seasonal changes of leaf and canopy light use efficiency in a Phlomis fruticosa Mediterranean ecosystem using field measurements and multi-angular satellite hyperspectral imagery. ISPRS Journal of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, 97, 138-151.
- Stagakis S., González-Dugo V., Cid P., Guillén-Climent M. & Zarco-Tejada P.J. 2012. Monitoring water stress and fruit quality in an orange orchard under regulated deficit irrigation using narrow-band structural and physiological remote sensing indices. ISPRS Journal of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, 71, 47-61.
- Sykioti O., Paronis D., Stagakis S. & Kyparissis A. 2011. Band depth analysis of CHRIS/PROBA data for the study of a Mediterranean natural ecosystem. Correlations with leaf optical properties and ecophysiological parameters. Remote Sensing of Environment, 115, 752-766.
- Stagakis S., Markos N., Sykioti O. & Kyparissis A. 2010. Monitoring canopy biophysical and biochemical parameters in ecosystem scale using satellite hyperspectral imagery: An application on a Phlomis fruticosa Mediterranean ecosystem using multiangular CHRIS/PROBA observations. Remote Sensing of Environment, 114, 977-994.
- Vanikiotis T., Markos N., Stagakis S, Tzotsos A., Sykioti O., Kyparissis A. Edinburgh, Scotland, September 2013. Estimating light use efficiency of a pine and a beech forest from leaf to ecosystem scale using the photochemical reflectance index. European Space Agency, Special Publication SP-722, Living Planet Symposium.
- Sykioti O., Paronis D., Kyparissis A. & Stagakis S. Frascati, Italy, March 2010. Spectroscopic analysis of a Mediterranean ecosystem using CHRIS/PROBA, in situ leaf spectra and plant measurements. European Space Agency, Hyperspectral Workshop 2010.
- Kyparissis A., Markos N., Stagakis S., Levizou E., Sykioti O. Florence, Italy, September 17-20, 2007. Ecosystem productivity and dynamics issued from multispectral and hyperspectral satellite imagery. Proceedings of SPIE Europe Remote Sensing.
- Stagakis S., Markos N., Levizou E. & Kyparissis A. Montreux, Switzerland, April 23-27, 2007. Forest Ecosystem Dynamics using SPOT and MODIS Satellite Images. European Space Agency ENVISAT Symposium.